Dev D vs Gulaal


2 months and 4 days... Ha - now thats a hell lot of a time to update one's blog (more so when it has such a huge fan following :P)

But now that i m here (courtesy RJ), its time for some serious talk:

During the last few months (to be more precise after the release of Dev D), I have become a huge fan of 'Anurag Kashyap' - the Bollywood director. I simply adore his movies - it started with Dev D, followed by Black Friday and then finally Gulaal. I have also enjoyed 'Main Khuda' song from his movie Paanch (which unfortunately was not released in India & I dont know why :-(). So if any of you guys, somehow manage to get hold of it: plzzzzzzzzz let me know (& i will treat you with whatever you like!!). My future plans also include watching 'No Smoking' again (it was an OHT for me first time around - but i had a feeling that this is also a great movie). Well the only other movie to get me this OHT effect earlier was Memento, which happens to be my all-time favourite movie. So you never know...

Now coming to the point: Dev D vs Gulaal
But why this comparison you may ask? Well its triggered by one comment of my dear friend RJ (which had my head rolling like Abhay Deol in Dev D - Believe me!!). So lets do it:

1. The First Half:

Dev D - When the first half finished, I said WOWWWWW (the last movie which made me do so was Nolan's masterpiece - the dark knight!). Mind-blowing acting, coupled by a gripping storyline, tripled by a dizzying music. It was a feeling similar to my 'first tequila shot'. I was on a high, a real HIGH! The only thing i feared was that in the second half, the movie can only go down............

Gulaal - If i was Tequilaised by Dev D, then I was Blender's Pride(ed) by Gulaal (which happens to be my ultimate hangover till date, ask my dear flatmate). Yes, it had overtaken Dev D in the first half (even if it was by a whisker).

And what was the reason for this: Bold dialogues???
YES, they were one of the many reasons, not because no other movie had such a huge dosage of this censored stuff before, but because it gave the movie the REALITY that it portrayed. When in Rajasthan Rajputana, this is exactly how they talk (one of my friend from this place confirms it). And kudos for AK, for bringing this out in open like the way only he can :-)

Someone said: "Very gripless, senseless music"???
Well everyone is entitled for his/her opinion. But to me, it was almost the biggest LIE in the world (yes RJ - this really hurt)! For, i have not seen more sensible music in any movie which gels so well with the storyline, the characters, the whole setting up of the movie and which grips you right till the end..!! I honestly feel that AK has also mastered this art of giving the ultimate Movie-Music como to us - everytime without fail..!!!

Someone also said: "KK Menon is not even 1 percent of what he truly is"???
Now such a comment i think is good enough to trigger an India-Pakistan war :P
KK is undoubtedly one of the finest actors of our generation, and his Gulaal exploits again re-establish this fact. "Mrityunjay singh" role in Gulaal was made for KK. And thanks AK for choosing the best man for the job again!

2. The Second Half:

Dev D - Ah, my worst fears did not come true in the second half (thank GOD!). Dev D, Paaro and Chanda continued with their mesmerizing performances right till the end, giving the movie a well-deserved cult status. The Dev D effect was so overwhelming that whatever i saw for the next couple of weeks seemed utterly drab and forgetful. Never ever had a movie made me feel like this.............

Gulaal - My worst fears came true here :-(
The second half (though good) was unable to match the dizzying heights of the first half. The reason for that was "Dileep Singh" sudden transition from a scared piece of shit to almost terminator status. That in spite of being supremely exciting, was a touch unrealistic. Moreover, the movie somehow lost its plot towards the end as well. However having said that, the "Raanaji" song with its current political overtones and the amazing dialogues of "Prithvi Bana" (Piyush Mishra) throughout the movie were a sheer delight!

3. The Final Verdict

Somebody said: "DevD 5, Gulal 2.5" (on a 5-point scale)!!
The only person in this world that may just agree with this assessment is Nikhit Kazmi (the Times of India movie review authority). His ratings were: "DevD 5, Gulaal 3".

According to me: "Dev D: 5/5, Gulaal 4.5/5"
And thats not only my egoist verdict. That is the verdict of movie buffs nation-wide. If you are not satisfied, all you have to do is check IMDb: As i blog, the current ratings there are: "Dev D 8.7/10, Gulaal 8.7/10". OR check the movie reviews of 'The Hindu' OR just check on google, and i assure you that you will say: Bingo! :-)

4. The Best Lines

Dev D - Tauba Tera Jalwa, Tauba Tera Pyaar, Tera Emosional Attayachar...

Gulaal - Is Mulak Ne Har Shaks Ko Jo Kaam Tha Saupan, Har Shaks Ne Us Kaam Ki Maachis Laga Ke Chhod Di...


All said & done - the central figure behind all that was discussed here is the mercurial director AK..!! You can find all the details about him on wikipedia.
His next venture will be "Mumbai Cutting", which is still under production. As i write this post sitting in Mumbai, how i am looking forward to this next master-piece..!!!

Disclaimer: All the views expressed in this post are not only mine but of 99% of the movie buffs allover India (Dont worry, I have done a survey to arrive at this figure). You have the right to disagree with these views. I would really love constructive/destructive comments on this post!

12 Response to "Dev D vs Gulaal"

  1. Rishabh says:

    Like u said " every one is entitled for his/her own opinion...."
    U got me all wrong...
    Fact 1: The Accent must Confirm to Rajputana Era but ur friend would never agree that they always talk about "condoms, objectional references to female thighs and such unmentionable filth"
    Fact 2:If the eccentric "Emosonal Attayachar" is super duper hit, which it is, it dosen't mean that any Hinglish song including words like "Uncle SAM, Afghanistan, tower mein ghus jaye aeroplane" would do wonders. The music was EMBARRASSING.
    Fact 3: Self Explanatory, Watch "Sarkar", Watch "Life in a Metro"
    Fact 4: I go by my own likes and dislikes. My views don't get influenced by some 99% populace.
    Kashyap is undoubtedly a master film maker but that won't bias my views towards the Movie...Chill and enjoy..Happy Criticism

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    Dude,
    I totally agree with your DEV-D viewpoint but for gulaal i am doubtful.
    1) No doubt, the dialogues, performances of every actor in the film were extra ordinary thanks to AK (he is really good at it) but with every hit, expectation also rises.
    2) In gulaal, i din get the hold of the motive. did he want to depict the rajputana revolt specifically or a normal regional communal revolt in general? you will find a no of movies on the same idea.
    3) Bold dialogues have become the fashion statement for the movies nowadays (thanks to vishal bhardwaj). I am not against them as ppl can relate themselves with those casual dialogues but i didnt find them gripping enough for this movie.
    4) Best part was the dialogues of prithvi bana. They were really sarcastic n thght provokin.And no doubt, the dialogue u selected was the best one.
    5) I din find KK Menon character dominating enuf as a "sarkar".
    The bar dancer "madhuri" acting was far low than wht in DEVD.
    6) A good screenplay, the soul of DEVD, was missing in gulaal.

    Too much criticism :)
    I would go for DEVD with 5/5 but 3/5 for gulaal.

    let me knw, if u need sm more inputs.. :)

    JITIN says:

    @ Rishabh

    Thanks for ur comments RJ..!! Well its amazing how i get u "all wrong" everytime :P

    *Fact 1: Not only the accent but the dialogues are also of the Rajputana era. And ofcourse, they dont alwayz talk about *** things, and if i am not wrong (which may very well be the case again as i get "many things" wrong), the movie also has other dialogues than ***. And my dear friend, if ur so much against the use of such abusive language in hindi movies, then be brave and take a stand against "The Departed", which has the F*** word repeated after every 2-3 minutes among other *** stuff..!!!

    *Fact 2: EMBARRASING - my god!! i am amazed at ur word selection (after senseless & gripping). I dont think anything i say here will make any sense here to you. However, i think you have a problem with the lyrics and not the music. I repeat the MUSIC was OUTSTANDING and the lyrics were also great. Btw, there is a great contradiction if u feel that Dev D was GODLY music and Gulaal was pathetic. My lovely friend - i dont know 1 person who says so. Either one loves both or hates both. (But i am sure this aint gonna help anywaz)!!

    *Fact 3: Watch "Shaurya", Watch "Stoneman Murders", KK is a class-act always. And i am completely sure that his Gulaal exploits is in the league of his top-notch performances. (I am also sure that i have seen more KK movies than you buddy)! So you cant fool me here :-)

    *Fact 4: Hey congrats then to be in the 1% league (almost reminds me of the CAT percentile). My only concern is that you may not find anyother movie where you are in that esteemed league. Lucky you :P


    All said & done: I dont give a damn if all this has changed your opinion in anyway. I really dont care, because this post is not about anti-Gulaal club shouting (the 1% club)..........
    This post is about "Anurag Kashyap" and his masterpieces (of which Gulaal will alwayz be an integral part, come what may)..!!!!

    Dont worry RJ - the 99% club will be here soon :-)

    JITIN says:

    @ Deepak
    WOW RJ - seems like you have some company here.. u are really lucky (oye lucky, lucky oye)!
    welcome DJ to my blog.. thanks for ur comments :)

    1. Extra-ordinary you said. I completely agree here. The rise in expectations. I completely agree again!

    2. Well he obviously wanted to depict the rajputana revolt in paricular (maybe u can say the communal riot in general). I also hope that ur crystal clear abt AK's motive in Dev D :P

    3. Well let me tell you the meaning of gripping: "To hold the interest or attention of", i beg you to ask which other movie held ur attention/interest longer than Gulaal??? (it deserves an OSCAR!!) & i dont know why, but everyone in the 1% club seems to be having a problem with bold language??

    4. A BIG THANKSSSSSSSSS :-) :-)

    5. I personally feel that KK's acting in Sarkar was a shade better. But i am absolutely sure that it was not 99% better than what it was in Gulaal. NO WAY!!!!!

    Abt Madhuri: Well they are saying that "Mahi Gill" will be the next Rekha after this performance :P

    6. Screenplay was definitely better in Dev D, especially in the later half of Gulaal it was below average... But this does not mean that it was MISSING - thats too harsh a word to say my friend!!!
    I recommend you watch the movie (atleast the first half again)!!

    And your inputs are alwayz welcome man!!!!!

    Rishabh says:

    The ONLY thing which i really liked in your above Comments was,"The Sarcasm" Hats off...But, Thats all. :-(
    Firstly, i would like to surface out some hidden assumptions which you have made in your reasoning.
    Your Comment :I am also sure that i have seen more KK movies than you buddy)! So you cant fool me here :-)
    Hidden Assumption: Performances of actors is totally Independent of the Number of movies they have done, though it surely makes them better but not perpetual perfectionists feeding on their previous performance. Coz if it were true then Johnny Depp, for whom we both agree to be the best actor, is still without a single Academy Award. Your quantification of the number of movies watched is surely valuable if you are talking about your blinded likeliness for KK. Then i am surely defeated. And, btw, i am a great fan of KK's as well. :-)
    2)Your Comment: Abt Madhuri: Well they are saying that "Mahi Gill" will be the next Rekha after this performance :P
    My Reply:I did not comment anything on the actress, but still you have made references to her acting which slightly exposes your Red Herring to prove your point. Anyways...
    3) I don't kno why you are insisting on" Come what may, integral part" There are great movies like "Firaaq, Life in a Metro and the Big One,"Dil Chahta Hai" which project excellence for both of us but not for the masses.
    Hence, cannot be quantified into some PERCENTAGES.
    3) I am not against "BOLD DIALOGUES" coz if i were i would have surely rebuked against Dev D as well coz it is no less obscene in its dialogues.And I think that i am taking a step back on this particular "dialogue" issue. I think you have a point here.And Oh My Great God,The Departed, Jitin...Strange you thought abt that movie...Indian Cinema is surely making leaps but "The Departed"???
    My Conclusion: If you are an Ayn Rand fan then you would really not appreciate this conclusion of mine but for me ART is purely a SUBJECTIVE ISSUE coz if it were not then the entire genre of Modern Art Artists would have surely fallen into self-deprecation by now...
    I am not at all intrigued by your " I don't give a DAMN" comments because such "HARSH(in your language)" words exposes your sheer desperation of proving your point. Music, Screenplay, Acting etc. is SUBJECTIVE, again specifying, if it were not then Dev D would have received 5/5 from every Living Movie Critic, which it didn't....
    Ciao Ciao...

    I don't think its correct to compare the two films. They are both great films in their own domains. DEV D loos into male sexuality like no other film has in Bollywood. Gulal on the other hand is political satire . my fav scene is ehre piyush mishra recites the modern version of sarfaroshi ki tamanna..

    If you like Anurag Kashyap so much I sugggest you watch this teleseries called Rajuben. Its aired on Sony every monday at 10. I saw it once and quite liked it.

    One last small thing -its Kay Kay Menon and not KK Menon. Have u seen Hazaroon Khwaishen Aisi? I thought Kay Kay was brilliant in the film

    interesting... :)

    Abhishek says:

    DevD is one of its kind. Its acting and direction are kind of God-sent. Very few Indian movies can actually be compared to DevD

    I like Anurag kashyap's movies too but I disagree with couple of things in your post. I am not sure if I liked or disliked DevD. I liked it for the fact that it seemed quite realistic, great storywriting, crisp acting by all of them amazing dialogue , great music like nayan tarse, pardesi, payalia, duniya, ( i am not a fan of emotional atyachar) and smart satires throughout the movie. But personally to me it was explicit in parts( I say that even though I follow his work) I agree a lot of people talk like that but it doesn't make it acceptable and I am not sure if using abusive words till that extent added anything extra to the movie.

    About Gulaal, I absolutely adore this movie. Even though it had its downfalls like in between I felt the grip went loose a bit till the most amazing scene ever( where piyush mishra recites rashmi rathi lines) came up. No doubt gulaal exhibits AK's amazing writing skills along with amazing acting from KK, abhimanyu singh and piyush mishra actually all except maybe mahi. But I guess the movie was not understood or received well by the 99% movie buffs and thats where I disagree. I dont think AK makes movies for the masses :). I am from jaipur and yes a lot depicted used to be true. I am not sure how it is now, but I remember those rallies and during elections a lot of fights among rajputs and jats. It was a huge thing in rajasthan and it still is a major part but I am not sure if it was this bad ever. BUT my opinion of the movie is - that it was a metaphor. I don't think AK would waste it on describing a region's inner clashes. It was a reflection on how we behave everywhere for each piece of land. And he used this plot to make his points. The whole movie is based on symbolism and every where to me it reflected on the current state of affairs in the whole world. Talking about democracy beer and republic whiskey to the inner conscience in the face of the half men-women. They all pointed me to a different aspect than merely being a story about greed and power :). And this was aided by piyush mishra throughout the movie. I think this movie needed a bit more editing and not many people understood it or maybe i misunderstood it :)

    JITIN says:

    @Aakashi
    Thanks for your insights on both these movies...

    well it gave me a chance to admire both these master-pieces again :)

    the fact that ur from rajasthan only makes ur description of Gulaal even more realistic!!

    Also great to have another AK fan here.. with ur comments, i think this post has served its purpose to entirety - which was not whether DevD or Gulaal is better? But, which was to celebrate the AK phenomenon :)

    Keep visiting Aakashi!
    your comments are welcome :)
    cya!

    Anurag kashyap is a gem.
    I saw his first piece of work in A Star Plus Teleseries- Star Best Sellar- Train to Mahakali. And i knew that this was a real masterpiece. Its on youtube; if u wish to see that telefilm.
    Now coming to DEV. D. I saw Subhash K Jha awarding ***** Stars Rating to this movie. 5 Stars definitely makes it a must watch flick.The 3A's funda did the trick.ANurag, Amit & Abhay.Its olmost 1 yr but i am still listning those numbers.I cant choose any song as my favourite. All were priceless.

    As far as Gulal is concerned KK, Piyush Mishra, Rajputana, Jess randhawa were irreplacable. Anurag's dream project was certainly a treat to watch. My favourite dialogue is:

    Ransa: Feetay se chasma baadh le aur Hockey Stick utha

    Bhati: tu kyun karta hai aisa? Bana ko Jhaant farak nahin padta chahey woh jadwal ho ya tu

    KK is one of the very talented actor bollywwod has produced. And driven by right direction with Anurag's Vision made it a cinematic experience.

    Hey!! do listen to the other track of PAANCH i.e Ankhiyan Chipki Jaye.
    The movie is again a must see. raw passionate work of Kashyap.Its available in torrents portal.

    Desitorrents, Desibbrg.

    Keep Posting Such Blogs.

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes